We really love this recipe because it’s a great way to use leftover rice, which many times just isn’t as tasty as a fresh batch. This tofu fried rice is easy to make and the result will surprise you. It’s super savory, has great textures and will have you asking for more. We make this recipe on a regular basis, probably once a week and is a long-time favorite.
To make this recipe, make sure you have all the ingredients. If you didn’t make our microwave rice recipe and you lack a cooked yellow onion, no worries! Just pop one in the microwave in a semi-closed container for 3-4 minutes. It should come out soft. Peel it carefully after you take it out – it’s hot.
We start by making tofu bits, just like in our pasta recipe. The only difference is the seasoning. Crumble your tofu into an oiled pan and season it with salt and chili flakes. Once it’s nice and golden, add soy sauce and stir. While your tofu is frying, halve and slice your cooked onion, and chop your green onions. Season your cooked leftover rice with vegetable oil and mix it well. Once your tofu is done, add the yellow onion and stir. Add the rice as well and stir until it warms up. Then, turn off the heat, add your chopped green onions and mix everything well.
Serve as is or add a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds on top. We hope you like it as much as we do!
Tofu Fried Rice
- 1 firm tofu block (300 grams/0.6 lb)
- 2 cups cooked rice (1-2 days old)
- 1 cooked yellow onion (check notes)
- 2-3 green onions
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat up a nonstick pan with the olive oil and sesame oil on medium heat.
- Squeeze your tofu over a sink to remove excess moisture.
- Crumble the tofu onto your frying pan.
- Season with salt and chili flakes. Keep stirring occasionally and fry for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- While your tofu is frying, halve and then slice your cooked onion to 0.5 cm (0.2 inch) strips and set to the side.
- Chop your green onions and set aside as well.
- Season your cooked rice with 1 tbsp vegetable oil and mix well. Make sure the grains are separated.
- Once your tofu is golden brown, add 1 tbsp soy sauce and stir well until it's absorbed.
- Add your cooked onion and mix well.
- Add the rice and stir until it warms up, about 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the green onions.
- Use the cooked onion from our microwave rice recipe. If you don't have one, just put one yellow onion in the microwave in a semi-closed container for 3-4 minutes. It should come out soft. Peel it carefully after you take it out - it's hot.
- Optional serving recommendation - serve with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds on top.