On one of the many COVID lockdowns we had in Israel, Andres and I were lucky enough to have a relative’s apartment all to ourselves. It was a very chaotic and stressful time for all of us, especially for a country that’s addicted to the news. You need to understand that Israeli news start at 3 PM all the way till 9:30-10 PM every day (except Friday and Saturday, thank god).
Needless to say, we were craving comforting and easy meals constantly, and what’s better than pasta? Tofu bits pasta!
After many kilos of pasta later, here is the recipe.
The first step is to let out all your aggression and crumble the tofu onto an oiled frying pan. Fry until golden over medium heat, so it looks like this:
Congrats! You’ve successfully made tofu bits, now you can caramelize them. Lucky for you, we got the sauce, no ketchup (you can add ketchup though).
Just add soy sauce and date syrup on low heat, stir, season with MSG and black pepper and turn off the heat.
When your pasta is done, strain it and add a little oil and sprinkle those umami flakes (nutritional yeast). Stir the pasta and combine with the tofu bits. Enjoy!
Tofu Bits Pasta
- 500 gr pasta (we like short pasta for this recipe)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 300 gr tofu
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp MSG
- ½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- As the tofu takes a maximum of 18 minutes to make you can time your pasta accordingly. Make sure that the tofu waits for the pasta and not vice versa.
- Crumble your tofu to small chunks.
- Add olive oil and sesame oil to a pan and turn on medium heat
- Add the tofu to the pan and stir occasionally until golden (about 12-16 minutes).
- Lower the heat, add soy sauce and stir until all the tofu is covered.
- Add the date syrup and stir.
- Add black pepper and MSG and turn off the heat.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions.
- When your pasta is done (we like it Al dente) strain it (not too much, we want some of that water) and put it back in the pot.
- Add about 1 tsp vegetable oil to the pasta and stir.
- Add nutritional yeast to the pasta and stir well.
- Add the cooked pasta to the tofu in the pan.
- Stir to combine and enjoy!