Our vegan red lentil soup recipe is super simple and easy to make – all you need is a pot, red lentils and basic condiments. This soup is the perfect meal for those cold and lazy winter days. It’s a hearty soup that still manages to feel light and delicate.
If you’re trying to include more legumes in your diet, this vegan red lentil soup recipe can help you achieve just that with zero effort and great flavor.
You can make this soup either thicker or runnier depending on what you like, so feel free to add more or less water. Oh! I forgot to mention – it’s super quick to make, about 5 minutes of prep and you’re good to go!
Red Lentil Soup
- medium pot
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4.5 cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil we often use canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Rinse and strain the red lentils and put them in a medium sized pot.
- Add the boiling water and put on high heat.
- Smash your garlic well with a knife, peel it and add it in.
- Add the oil and season the soup with the salt, cumin & black pepper.
- Simmer for 35 minutes until the lentils soften up & break down.
- You can make this soup either thicker or runnier depending on what you like, so feel free to add more or less water.
- You can opt to blend the soup once it's done. If you use a hand blender just pulse once or twice. You don't want to blend it completely.