“Where’s the sweet red pepper? And you’re not showing enough lettuce!”- this was my mom’s reaction to the photos of what was supposed to be her famous lettuce pecan salad. “Also, this isn’t how I cut the cucumbers or the carrots anymore”. Yep, we messed up a bit, mainly because someone didn’t call her mother beforehand (oops). But even so, this salad came out delicious*. It’s crunchy, fresh, lemony and is balanced out by the richness and savoriness of the pecans.
*This salad was completely devoured in one go by four people, so we have it on good authority. Rated 9/10 by a first time eater.
The most important thing to make this salad a success is to thoroughly dry the lettuce after you wash it. We cannot emphasize this enough. This is to make sure that the dressing coats the lettuce well and to prevent the salad from being watery.
After washing and drying your lettuce, cut up the cucumbers and the carrot. We cut them diagonally into thin slices, but my mom first cuts them in half. Place them in a big bowl. Then, cut your red onion in half and slice into thin strips. Add it to the bowl as well. Next, if you want to add a sweet red pepper, this is the time. Lastly, tear up your lettuce into small-medium pieces and add to the bowl.
Just before serving, add in the salt roasted pecans (after sifting out any excess salt). This is the time to add avocado wedges or cubes if you want to. We highly recommend you do so if you have one available.
Now for the dressing. This is a pretty simple vinaigrette. Grab your jar (or any suitable container) and add in all the ingredients – olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, salt and black pepper. Close the jar and shake it well. Shake again and pour the dressing a few minutes before serving. Don’t forget to mix well.
Thanks mom for the great recipe.
P.S. we added more pecans than you, and they’re salted!
Lettuce Pecan Salad
- 2 lettuce hearts
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 carrot
- ⅓ red onion
- 100 grams salt roasted pecans (3.5 oz)
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 1 sweet long red pepper (optional)
For the vinaigrette
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Wash and dry your lettuce. Make sure to dry it well (this is the secret to great salad).
- Slice your carrot and cucumbers diagonally into thin slices and place in a big bowl.
- Take your onion piece cut it in half and then slice into thin strips. Add it to the bowl.
- Tear your dried lettuce into small-medium pieces and place them in the bowl as well.
- If you're using store bought salt roasted pecans, make sure to dust off any excess salt using a fine mesh strainer. Set them aside.
- Make the vinaigrette - add all the ingredients into a jar, close it and shake well.
- A few minutes before serving add the pecans, shake the vinaigrette again, pour it on the salad and mix it well.
- Due to clerical errors, we forgot to add a sweet long red pepper (or a few mini ones) so feel free to slice one up and add it in.
- Avocado goes extremely well in this salad, so if you have one go ahead and add it. Make sure to cut it right before serving so it doesn't oxidize.
- If you don't have salt roasted pecans you can use regular toasted pecans or even make them at home.