Tomato soup has always been one of my favorite soups. I mean, who doesn’t love a big bowl of rich creamy tomato soup? Andres, apparently. Very strange, I know. Which makes it all the more surprising that when I asked him to make me one, he came up with this delicious recipe. This vegan tomato soup is savory and velvety with a robust tomatoey flavor. It needs a bit of oversight while cooking, but it’s worth it, I swear.
The most important thing to make this recipe is using ripe tomatoes. Unripe tomatoes are less sweet and more acidic, so if your tomatoes are still green – wait patiently for them to ripen.
The first step is to peel the tomatoes – for that you’re going to cut a big shallow X on the bottom of each tomato and then cover them with boiling water. While they sit for 3-4 minutes, choose a tall medium pot (as cooking tomatoes tends to splatter) and pour your olive oil into it. Now you can start taking the tomatoes out carefully and peeling them. If they’re too hot, run them under some cold water. Cut your peeled tomatoes into quarters and add them to your pot.
Once you’re done with the tomatoes, set the pot on medium-low heat and season with salt. Let the tomatoes cook for 25 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally so they don’t stick to the bottom. Add the soy sauce and date syrup and stir. After 5 minutes add boiling water and the rice paper pieces. Stir and let cook for 10 more minutes. Turn off the heat and blend the soup. Feel free to add more water if you want the soup to be runnier.
We hope you like it as much as I do. Comment to let us know if I was right to insist on including this recipe and prove Andres wrong.
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1.3-1.5 Kg tomatoes (3 lbs)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 rice papers, cut into small pieces (we use the big 9 inch square)
- Start by boiling water, then cut a big shallow X on the bottom of each tomato (the bigger the X, the easier to peel the tomato).
- Place the tomatoes in a big bowl and cover with boiling water. Let them sit for 3-4 minutes.
- While the tomatoes sit, add the olive oil into a tall medium pot.
- Carefully, take out one tomato each time and peel the skin off. If it's too hot to handle, pass it through cold water.
- Cut the peeled tomatoes into quarters and add them to the pot.
- Place the pot on medium-low heat and season with salt.
- Let the tomatoes cook for about 25 minutes uncovered until they're soft, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the soy sauce and date syrup and stir.
- After 5 minutes add the boiling water and the cut up rice papers.
- Let the soup cook for 10 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat, blend the soup and serve.
- You can add more water to the soup after you blend it if you want it runnier.